Building a new home from the ground up is a monumental decision for any family. Apart from the high land and construction costs, the homeowner has to deal with a plethora of variables, which makes the process quite hectic. There are several reasons for someone wanting to build a new home from scratch. Many homeowners feel that they have to build their dream home from the ground up to get exactly what they want. For others, the reason can be to build a home after buying a piece of land without any existing structures on it. Whatever the reason might be, in this article you are going to find out the general process and expected costs to build a new home in Chicago.
Major Steps in Process
Let’s learn about the major steps in the building process. It’s important to note that these might vary slightly, depending on the individual decisions, circumstances and location.
- Budget: Homeowners should have a fixed budget for the construction of their new home. It will act as an expense cap for size, building type, interior design and customization.
- Purchasing Property: Choosing and purchasing the property on which the home should be built is a very crucial decision that needs to be completed before the construction work can begin. It can’t be changed later. Therefore, it has to be decided early on.
- Choice of Construction Method: According to the available budget, deciding on which construction method from custom, modular, or developer and builder construction method is very important. Multiple estimates are recommended in case you aren’t fully sure.
- Design and Plans: Your dream home design should be supported by the amount of budget you can allow for construction. Larger homes can be quite expensive.
- Permits and Inspection: Getting necessary permits is a long, complicated process that can be handled by builders, general contractors and permit services. Several home inspections during the building process are also to be expected to prevent costly errors in the future.
- Construction Insurance: In order to protect the construction investment, purchasing construction insurance is a good safety measure.
- Beginning Construction: From site preparation to rough plumbing, electrical and roofing tasks, numerous steps are included. The whole process is likely to employ dozens of professionals, whose expertise is invaluable for the completion of the process.
- Final Inspection: The last step is required to verify that the construction matches the submitted designs and meets the local construction requirements. After it is completed, the homeowner receives permission to live in the home.
- Landscaping: The yard and surrounding areas of the home is landscaped to add to the aesthetic appeal of the new home. Planting trees and shrubs, putting down sod, and adding decorative walkways can add a personalized touch on the home.
While the overall costs to build a new home in Chicago varies from person to person, and different variables, several construction firms and architects can help homeowners estimate the projected costs at the beginning of the process. Therefore, it is a smart idea to collaborate with an architect or a builder before embarking on the construction journey. In fine, you can get a general idea about the process of building a new Chicago home from here. In order to fully understand the finer details, we recommend homeowners to contact a reputed construction company or an architect.